Resale shop at Thorn Turn tidy tip, Houghton Regis
You can now donate items at any of our Household Waste Recycling Centres (tidy tip) in Ampthill, Biggleswade and Leighton Buzzard, to be sold in the resale shop at Thorn Turn tidy tip.
All items must be in good condition and safe to use. If you would like to donate something for the resale shop, please let a member of site staff know.
The resale shop gives an opportunity for residents’ items to be reused rather than recycled or disposed, and for others to buy low-cost items.
All items on sale at Thorn Turn resale shop have been diverted from the waste stream with the income generated used to fund and further develop this ongoing project. By selling these items for reuse we significantly reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill and help support local communities and residents who benefit from the sale of these low-cost items.
Thorn Turn Household Waste Recycling Centre
Opening hours: Open 9am -5pm, 7 days a week including bank holidays (closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day)
What items will the shop accept / sell?
We can accept items in a reusable condition including:
- bags and luggage
- clothing and shoes
- soft furnishings (with a valid fire safety label)
- furniture (large and small items with a valid fire safety label)
- bicycles, bike racks
- sports equipment (except safety equipment)
- video tapes
- picture frames and mirrors
- kitchenware (e.g. crockery and cutlery)
- games (non-electronic)
- toys (non-electronic)
- garden furniture
Please note: All stuffed furniture and soft furnishings must have a valid fire safety label.
What items won’t the shop accept / sell?
- electrical and mains-powered items
- furniture and soft furnishings without a valid fire safety label
- gas appliances and gas bottles
- household chemicals
- items that use fuel – petrol-powered lawn mowers and strimmers etc.
- safety items (e.g. ladders, child seats, safety harnesses, prams, buggies, crash helmets and cycle helmets etc.)
- weapons (e.g. knives, guns and swords etc.)
- items that cannot be reused
Please note: If an item isn’t listed, please ask site staff if it can be accepted. If donating in person at Thorn Turn, it will be at the resale shop manager’s discretion as to whether an item is good enough quality to sell.
Payment and shop security
All purchases can only be made on-site by cash or by the following debit or credit cards: Barclaycard, Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Maestro and V Pay.
CCTV will be in operation at all times.