Recycling different types of waste

What waste goes where

Recycling bin

We provide a green wheelie bin (for residents in the north) or a wheelie bin with an orange lid (for residents in the south) for dry recycling.

For houses that cannot accommodate bins, please contact us on 0300 300 8302 and we will provide you with the most appropriate container.

We collect recycling fortnightly (on the same collection day but on the alternative week to your refuse collection). Check your bin calendar for the exact dates of collection.

Please ensure recycling is clean, dry has no food remains and is squashed before placing loose in your bin / bag.

Please do not place recyclable items in either black sacks or plastic bags, as your bin will not be collected.

What goes in leaflet

What goes in your recycling bin?

Paper: (dry)

  • newspaper
  • junk mail, pamphlets and envelopes
  • scrap paper, wrapping and tissue paper (no wallpaper - please put this is your black bin)
  • magazines
  • catalogues, brochures, directories (including yellow pages)
  • shredded papers (please either place in an old cereal box or bunch up and put in a paper envelope / wrap in newspaper)
  • computer printout paper
  • paperback books - no 'play school' paper covered in glitter / paint or material please

Cardboard: (dry, no food remains)

Note: please don't leave this at the side of your bin, as it will not be collected.

  • greeting cards
  • cereal boxes and tissue boxes
  • sleeves from ready meals and egg boxes
  • corrugated and flat cardboard (torn into A4 size please)

Cartons: food and drink cartons (rinsed out and squashed)

All plastic food packaging and plastic bottles (rinsed with no food remains)

  • carrier bags (make sure they're empty)
  • cling film / plastic wrap
  • containers
  • detergent bottles and fizzy pop bottles
  • margarine tubs
  • plastic milk bottles / cartons
  • plastic food trays
  • punnets /yoghurt pots
  • shampoo / water bottles / skincare bottles

Metal / cans, tins and foil: (rinsed, no food remains)

  • all food and drink cans, including metal sweet, biscuit and cake tins
  • aluminium tin foil
  • tin foil food containers

Aerosols (empty, please remove lids):

  • air freshener
  • deodorants and hairspray cans

Download our "What goes in" leaflet (PDF 1MB)

What stays out leaflet

What stays out of your recycling bin or bag?

  • glass bottles and jars
  • food waste
  • items inside plastic bags or sacks where we can't see the contents (like black sacks and carrier bags)
  • polystyrene
  • garden waste
  • rubble, hardcore and wood
  • nappies and sanitary waste
  • hard plastics (like CD cases, flowerpots)
  • small electrical items*
  • household batteries*
  • textiles and shoes*

*Bag separately and place next to your recycling or refuse bin. Please don't place in your bin, as these won't be recycled.

Download our "What stays out" leaflet (PDF 1.3MB)

Lost a bin or garden waste sack?

If your waste bin or garden waste sacks are lost, damaged, or need replacing, please telephone 0300 300 8302 or email

Back to the top