We provide a green wheelie bin (for residents in the north) or a wheelie bin with an orange lid (for residents in the south) for dry recycling.
For houses that cannot accommodate bins, please contact us on 0300 300 8302 and we will provide you with the most appropriate container.
We collect recycling fortnightly (on the same collection day but on the alternative week to your refuse collection). Check your bin calendar for the exact dates of collection.
Please ensure recycling is clean, dry has no food remains and is squashed before placing loose in your bin / bag.
Please do not place recyclable items in either black sacks or plastic bags, as your bin will not be collected.
What goes in your recycling bin?
- junk mail, pamphlets and envelopes
- scrap paper, wrapping and tissue paper (no wallpaper - please put this is your black bin)
- catalogues, brochures, directories (including yellow pages)
- shredded papers (please either place in an old cereal box or bunch up and put in a paper envelope / wrap in newspaper)
- computer printout paper
- paperback books - no 'play school' paper covered in glitter / paint or material please
Cardboard: (dry, no food remains)
- cereal and tissue boxes
- sleeves from ready meals
- egg boxes
- greeting cards
- corrugated and flat cardboard (torn into A4 size please; don't leave large sheets of cardboard at the side of the bin as this won't be collected)
Cartons: food and drink cartons (rinsed out and squashed)
Plastic food packaging and plastic bottles (rinsed with no food remains)
- detergent bottles and fizzy pop bottles
- margarine tubs
- plastic milk bottles / cartons
- plastic food trays
- punnets /yoghurt pots
- shampoo / water bottles / skincare bottles
Metal / cans, tins and foil: (rinsed, no food remains)
- all food and drink cans, including metal sweet, biscuit and cake tins
- aluminium tin foil
- tin foil food containers
Aerosols (empty, please remove lids):
- air freshener
- deodorants and hairspray cans
What stays out of your recycling bin or bag?
- glass bottles and jars
- food waste
- items inside plastic bags or sacks where we can't see the contents (like black sacks and carrier bags)
- garden waste
- rubble, hardcore and wood
- nappies and sanitary waste
- hard plastics (like CD cases, flowerpots)
- small electrical items*
- household batteries*
- textiles and shoes*
*Bag separately and place next to your recycling or refuse bin. Please don't place in your bin, as these won't be recycled.
Order food waste bags, garden waste sacks or a bin
You can now order replacement food waste bags and garden waste sacks online.
If your waste bin is lost or damaged please telephone 0300 300 8302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a new one.
Requesting a bigger bin
You can request a larger recycling bin (up to 360 litres), free of charge. We'll need your full postal address and a contact telephone number. One of our officers will then get in touch to assess how suitable a larger bin will be.
Email email@example.com or call 0300 300 8302 to request a larger recycling bin.