What happens next?

What happens next?

The first thing we do is find out who owns the land. We can then decide how urgently the waste needs removing. If it’s causing a public health hazard or a major obstruction, then we will prioritise this over waste which is an eyesore but causes no immediate problem.

If fly-tipping is on public land

We will inspect the problem, look for evidence of who fly-tipped and check the waste for hazards. We treat obstructions on the road as a priority and will usually inspect within 2 hours and clear the problem as soon as possible.

Obstructions on footways will be inspected within 5 working days.

If the obstruction is fly-tipping (dumped rubbish) we will move the waste to the side of the road or footway but we will not clear it. Our Anti Social Behavioural & Statutory Nuisance Team will come and assess the rubbish to see if there is anything there that can be used to identify the person(s) who dumped it (e.g. a household bill) before removing it.

Fly-tipping on private land

Fly-tipping on private land such as in fields, gateways, drives; housing association land and private car parks cannot be removed by us and should be reported to the land owner. Fly-tipping on private land is the landowner's responsibility, but we may ask the landowner to remove rubbish dumped on their land.

Fly-tipping on motorways

Fly-tipping on motorways and trunk roads should be reported to the Highways Agency on 0300 123 5000.

Back to the top