Technical supporting studies for the Local Plan
The draft Central Bedfordshire Local Plan will be supported by a range of technical evidence studies. Some of these technical studies have already been prepared and been subject to consultation, including the Design Guide and the Environmental Framework.
Some studies are being produced as part of the Local Plan, these are available for consultation (link opens in new window) in draft form. The consultations which have guided preparation of this new technical evidence are detailed below, alongside the next steps for these documents.
A sustainability appraisal must be carried out during the preparation of every local plan. The aim of a sustainability appraisal is to promote sustainable development; it does this by judging the emerging plan against the reasonable alternatives. It considers the Local Plan against environmental, economic and social objectives, highlighting potential improvements and any adverse effects which are likely to need addressing. The sustainability appraisal tests the evidence underpinning the Local Plan and ensures that the proposals put forward within the Local Plan are the most appropriate ones when compared against the reasonable alternatives.
Download the Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report (PDF 1.1MB)
Download appendix II (PDF 742.3KB)
We asked for your comments on our proposed approach to preparing the sustainability appraisal via our draft Scoping Report in August 2016. As a result of this consultation, some alterations were made and a final scoping report was published in October 2016. The resulting Sustainability Appraisal Report will be published for consultation in July 2016 alongside the Draft Local Plan. This will include a non-technical summary which will summarise all the key findings of the sustainability appraisal.
Other technical reports
The technical reports available for consultation alongside the Draft Local Plan include:
- Strategic Housing Market Assessment
- Site Assessment Technical Document (including the results of the Site Assessment process)
- Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (stage 1)
- Water Cycle Study (stage 1)
- Retail Study
- Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (PDF 1.7MB)
- Functional Economic Market Area (FEMA) and Employment Land Review (ELR) studies
- Sustainability Appraisal (Stage 1)
- Central Bedfordshire and Luton Strategic Green Belt Review (stage 1 and 2)
- Urban Capacity Study
- Growth Options Studies
- Viability Study (Stage 1)
- Initial Settlement Capacity Study
- Transport Modelling (Stage 1)
- East West Rail Development Gain Study