Examination: Local Plan
The hearings part of the examination of the Central Bedfordshire Local Plan are expected to commence in Spring 2019.
Following his reading of the submission documents and written representations, the Inspector raised a number of initial questions with the Council in August and September 2018 to seek clarification on a range of issues for the examination of the Plan (see EXAM2 and EXAM4 in the list of examination documents below).
The Council responded in September and October with further information (see EXAM3 and EXAM5 and related annexes).
The Inspector’s response to this is set out in a letter dated 15 October 2018 (EXAM6).
The Council has now indicated that the further additional evidence in relation to heritage, landscape and transport and any consequent changes to the Plan and updates to the Sustainability Appraisal will be completed by the end of January 2019. Subject to this the examination hearings are expected to commence in Spring 2019.
Further updates, including a draft timetable for the hearings, will be published on this page in due course.
Any questions about the examination at this stage should be directed to the Programme Officer (contact details below).
The Planning Inspector
Planning Inspector; Mike Hayden BSc(Hons) DiPTP MRTPI has been appointed to undertake an independent examination into the soundness of the Central Bedfordshire Local Plan (the Plan).
The Inspector’s task is to consider the soundness of the submitted Plan, based on the criteria set out in paragraph 182 of the National Planning Policy Framework (the Framework). The relevant soundness criteria are whether the Plan is:
- positively prepared (based on a strategy that seeks to meet objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements, including unmet requirements from neighbouring authorities where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development)
- justified (the most appropriate strategy when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence)
- effective (the plan should be deliverable over its period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities)
- consistent with national policy (the Plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the Framework)
The Inspector will take into account the representations submitted upon the Plan at pre-submission stage as far as they relate to soundness considerations. A number of informal debates will take place on the principal matters identified by the Inspector these are termed Hearing Sessions.
Following the closure of the Examination, the Inspector will prepare a report to the council with precise recommendations, these recommendations may include modifications to the Plan, if such a request is made by the council.
Guidance notes will be prepared by the Inspector to help people understand the process and will be available here in due course. Any queries people may have regarding the Examination process should be directed to the Programme Officer who will be happy to assist.
The Programme Officer
The Programme Officer, Ian Kemp, will act as the contact for any person who has an interest in the Examination and as a liaison between the Inspector, Council and Representors.
He is an independent Officer of the Examination and works on behalf of the Inspector to organise and manage the administrative and procedural elements of the Examination process. All statements will also be submitted through him.
Any matters that anyone wishes to raise with the Inspector should be submitted via the Programme Officer.
16 Cross Furlong
Telephone: 01527 861 711
Mobile: 0772 300 9166
Mr Kemp will be contacting all Representors with details of the Examination process in due course.
Hearing Sessions Venue and Timetable
A Programme for the Hearing Sessions together with Venue details and matters to be discussed will appear here once finalised.
The following is a list of documents submitted to the examination, since the submission of the Local Plan.
- EXAM1 – HRA letter (PDF 74KB)
- EXAM1A – Initial response to HRA letter (PDF 33.2KB)
- EXAM1B – Response to inspector HRA, 23 August 2018 (PDF 120.8KB)
- EXAM1C – Reg 19 revised HRA final report and appendices (PDF 2MB)
- EXAM1D – Natural England response to HRA formal letter (PDF 130KB)
- EXAM2 – Inspector's initial questions to the council (PDF 119KB)
- EXAM3 – Response to Inspector’s Initial Questions (PDF 445.8KB)
- EXAM3A – MoU with Bedford Borough Council (PDF 2.5MB)
- EXAM3B – MoU with Buckinghamshire County Council (PDF 306.6KB)
- EXAM3C – Water Cycle Study Final Report (PDF 10.8MB)
- EXAM3D – Strategic Flood Risk Assessment Final Report (PDF 5.1MB)
- EXAM3E – SA and HRA Representations to Reg 19 Consultation (PDF 427.2KB)
- EXAM3F – Employment Sites and Jobs Update (PDF 313.3KB)
- EXAM3G – Housing Trajectory (July and April 2018) (PDF 2.1MB)
- EXAM3H – Authority Monitoring Report 2016/2017 (PDF 4.1MB)
- EXAM3I – Appeal Decisions (Cranfield, Meppershall, Stotfold) (PDF 843.3KB)
- EXAM3J – M1-A6 Link Road Event Leaflet (PDF 7.2MB)
- EXAM3K – RAF Henlow Constraints Map (PDF 5.6MB)
- EXAM3L – Gypsy and Traveller Technical Note (PDF 321.2KB)
- EXAM4 – Inspector’s Response to the Council re: Initial Questions (PDF 103.3KB)
- EXAM5 – Cover letter 8 October 2018 (PDF 235.1KB)
- EXAM5A – Schedule of Responses to EXAM4 (PDF 361.4KB)
- EXAM5B Annex 1 – CBC and HCC SoCG (Agreed in Principle) (PDF 227.1KB)
- EXAM5C Annex 2 – CBC and NHDC SoCG (PDF 239.8KB)
- EXAM5D Annex 3 – CBC and Dacorum SoCG (PDF 2MB)
- EXAM5E Annex 4 – Huntingdonshire District Council Email (PDF 161.3KB)
- EXAM5F Annex 5 – CBC and LBC Draft SoCG (PDF 254.1KB)
- EXAM5F Annex 5a – Luton BC Email (PDF 162.5KB)
- EXAM5G Annex 6 – CBC and Cambridgeshire CC SoCG (PDF 213.6KB)
- EXAM5H Annex 7 – CBC and SCDC SoCG (PDF 216.5KB)
- EXAM5I Annex 8 – Highways England Email (PDF 205.2KB)
- EXAM5J Annex 9 – CBC and Environment Agency SoCG (PDF 505.7KB)
- EXAM5K Annex 10 – CBC and Anglian Water SoCG (PDF 466.4KB)
- EXAM5L Annex 11 – CBC and NE SoCG (PDF 484.1KB)
- EXAM5M Annex 12 – CBC and NE Position Statement (PDF 253.3KB)
- EXAM5N Annex 13 – CBC and Natural England Draft Statement of Intent (PDF 171.8KB)
- EXAM5O Annex 14 – Sundon RFI Visual Appraisal (PDF 3.5MB)
- EXAM5O Annex 14a – Sundon RFI Visual Appraisal Appendix A (PDF 9.4MB)
- EXAM5O Annex 14b – Sundon RFI Visual Appraisal Appendix B (PDF 7.5MB)
- EXAM5P Annex 15 – Sundon RFI Archae DBA and Built Heritage Assessment (PDF 18.9MB)
- EXAM5Q Annex 16a – Marston Gate Archaeology and Historic Landscape Topic Paper (PDF 729KB)
- EXAM5Q Annex 16b – Marston Gate II Briefing Note in respect of Built Heritage (PDF 646.3KB)
- EXAM5Q Annex 16c – Marston Gate II Archae Assessment and BH Statement (PDF 11.5MB)
- EXAM5Q Annex 16d – Marston Gate Geophysical Survey (PDF 14.4MB)
- EXAM5R Annex 17 – CBC and HisE SoCG (PDF 656.2KB)
- EXAM5S Annex 18 – CBC and HisE Position Statement (PDF 249.8KB)
- EXAM5T Annex 19 – CBC and HisE Draft Statement of Intent (PDF 171.8KB)
- EXAM5U Annex 20 – Sites Requiring LVIA and HIA (PDF 160.4KB)
- EXAM5V Annex 21 – Response to Transport Query (PDF 353KB)
- EXAM5W Annex 22 – Housing Market Areas Map (PDF 6.7MB)
- EXAM5X Annex 23 – Job Numbers Update (PDF 625.1KB)
- EXAM5Y Annex 24 – North of Luton Framework Plan (tracked changes) (PDF 440.3KB)
- EXAM5Z Annex 25a – North of Luton Framework (PDF 375.6KB)
- EXAM5Z Annex 25b – North of Luton Analysis (PDF 324.9KB)
- EXAM5AA Annex 26 – Site Assessments Stage B (small and medium sites) (PDF 872.4KB)
- EXAM5AA Annex 26a – Built Heritage Assessment (PDF 376.8KB)
- EXAM5BB Annex 27 – Site Selection Matric (small and medium sites) (PDF 355.2KB)
- EXAM5CC Annex 28a – Water Cycle Study (tracked changes) (PDF 7.3MB)
- EXAM5DD Annex 29a – Central Bedfordshire Draft Level 1 SFRA (tracked) (PDF 4.8MB)
- EXAM5DD Annex 29b – Central Bedfordshire Council Level 2 SFRA (tracked) (PDF 1.6MB)
- EXAM5DD Annex 29d – SFRA Level 2: Marston Gate (tracked changes) (PDF 394.8KB)
- EXAM5DD Annex 29f – SFRA Level 2: East of Arlesey (tracked changes) (PDF 406.4KB)
- EXAM5EE Annex 30 – Further Proposed Minor Modifications (PDF 349.3KB)
- EXAM6 – Planning Inspector's response to EXAM5 (PDF 88.8KB)
Evidence Base Documents
In preparing the Plan the council both refer to and were informed by a number of documents that together form the 'Evidence Base' for the Examination. These documents can be accessed on the Submissions to Government page.