Make a planning application

Permitted developments

Permitted development rights mean that certain changes can be made to your house without the need to apply for planning permission.

You still require building regulations approval.

These changes can include the erection of walls and fences below a certain height, painting the outside of a building, building a porch or small conservatory and alterations to roofs.

You may also be able to build certain rear extensions under permitted development rights.

However permitted development rights do not apply to flats, maisonettes or 'granny annexes' and different requirements apply to listed buildings and some conservation areas in Central Bedfordshire.

You must check whether permitted development rights exist for your property before considering extending your home without making a full planning application.

Before extending your home with a larger extension of you must apply to the Council to determine whether prior approval will be required. There is currently no fee for this type of application.

The application must include a completed prior notification application form.

Back to the top