Getting care and support

Getting a financial assessment

If we have assessed your needs and you are eligible for care or support from us, we will carry out a financial assessment to determine how much you will have to pay towards your care.

We will contact you to arrange for a Community Finance Adviser to visit you.

They will:

  • discuss any entitlement to extra benefits you may have
  • assist you to complete the financial assessment form

You can complete the financial assessment form yourself.

Can I have someone with me?

You can have someone with you when we visit – a carer, relative or friend.

What will happen at your financial assessment

We will need to see written proof of your income, savings and capital along with details of your expenditure.

Income can include:

  • all state benefits
  • state, occupational or private pensions
  • trust income
  • annuity income
  • income from employment

Some of these may be ignored in part or totally for the purposes of the assessment, but we need to know about them so we can work out if you are entitled to any extra money.

Capital can include:

  • savings
  • property you own, including property you own but do not live in
  • bank and building society accounts
  • national savings accounts
  • Income Bonds
  • savings certificates
  • Premium Bonds
  • all stocks and shares, PEPs, ISAs, etc.

If you deliberately deprive yourself of capital or assets to reduce your contribution, then we will assess the amount you have to pay as though you still have it.

If this happens and you are unable to pay your contribution, then we have the power to recover the balance from the people to whom the capital or asset was transferred.

We will ask you for proof of your expenditure.

Expenditure could include:

  • rent or mortgage
  • council tax
  • water rates
  • buildings insurance
  • disability related expenditure

Below is a list of the costs you may incur because of your age, disability or medical condition.

Examples of proof of expenditure include:

  • extra laundry
  • incontinence aids
  • garden maintenance
  • transport
  • extra heating costs
  • and specialist equipment

Based on all of this information we calculate your 'disposable income'.

The disposable income is your assessed contribution towards the cost of your care, but the amount we ask you to pay will never be more than the full cost of your service.

We will advise you in writing of the amount you have been assessed to pay for the services you receive.

Support if you are funding your own care

If you are self funding your own care but need us to support you arrange your care requirements with our approved domiciliary providers, then you can use our Homecare Brokerage service. We are based at service based at Priory House, Chicksands.

If you receive a Direct Payment, your contribution will be deducted before the payment is made to you.

Back to the top