Equipment (aids) in your home
Specialist equipment is available which will allow you to move around safely and independently.
This can help you:
- get washed
- get dressed
- with cooking
- with moving round your home
If you are the carer for someone with physical health problems, then having the right equipment in place will make your work both easier and safer.
This list does not cover everything but will give you a good idea of aids you can find:
- shower stools
- reachers - for picking things up from the floor
- kettle tippers, adapted cutlery and other kitchen gadgets
- grab rails - for helping you walk about the house, or keep your balance in the bath
- specialist beds and chairs, including ones which rise up or sink back down at the push of a button
- hoists - for people who can no longer carry their own weight and need to be helped up out of bed or chair
- bath lifts
- standing frames to help people walk about
- raised toilet seats
- commodes - mini toilets for people who cannot get to the bathroom by themselves
- special mattresses and cushions - for people who have to spend a long time in bed or have skin which is vulnerable to pressure ulcers also called pressure sores
If you requested for the assessment for these items to be provided then the smaller pieces of equipment and minor works are initially assessed by our Occupational Therapy Team colleagues in SEPT. Call the contact centre 0300 300 8050 for more information.
If, because of our assessment, we determine that you need equipment help you at home then we will refer you for a Disabled Facilities Grant or direct (minor works) funding.
We will advise you on the most appropriate funding.
If you requested for the assessment for these items to be provided then the smaller pieces of equipment and minor works are initially assessed by our Occupational Therapy Team colleagues in SEPT .
If you do not qualify for equipment from the council, there are many websites which sell equipment online.
We cannot recommend individual companies but the following organisations will be able to advise you: