The future day offer for older people and adults with disabilities
Latest on the day offer
We want to improve the day services available to older people and adults with disabilities.
We formally consulted on our new day offer for three months from 24 October 2016. The results of the consultation were taken into account and the day offer was agreed by our Executive at its meeting on 4 April 2017.
What is the new offer?
The new day offer is a joint vision between us and people who use services. It is made up of components and principles that will be used as building blocks of the future day service in Central Bedfordshire.
- meet customer outcomes for social interaction, physical activity and mental stimulation
- meet carer outcomes for respite and peace of mind
- meet customers’ care and support needs
- promote and maintain independence in a way which is personalised, flexible and responsive
- promote learning in a stimulating and supportive environment
- deliver greater partnerships with the local community
- maximise the use of community facilities that can be accessed by older people and adults with disabilities
What's happening now/next?
We have started stage 2 of the process (detailed below) which is to review the existing services against the new day offer and see where we can improve things. This process started in 2017 and may take a number of years, depending on what people say they need and the timings of other developments that could provide better opportunities or facilities.
Stage 1: April 2016 to April 2017
- developed the proposed offer
- consulted on and approved the day offer
Stage 2: October 2017 to April 2019
- Ampthill Day Centre
- Biggleswade Learning Disability Centre
- Townsend Centre
Stage 3: April 2019 to October 2020
- Biggleswade Older Peoples' Centre
- Houghton Regis
- Leighton Buzzard
What does it mean for current customers and carers?
If customers currently receive day services, nothing will change until we have discussed individual needs and options with people who use it. We are not proposing to change the eligibility rules for day services, just the way they are delivered. If people receive day services now they will continue to do so but there may be more options to choose from that might be more suited to their needs.
Are we closing day centres?
We haven’t made any decisions about the future of any centre. As we start to conduct reviews of each centre from 2017 onwards, we will look in detail at the service it is providing and the needs of its current and future customers. We will also look at opportunities to develop more personalised services and for the day offer to become more integrated with other community facilities.
How to get involved
If you use day services or are a family member of someone who attends a day service in Central Bedfordshire and you would like an information pack which contains more details on what is happening and how to get involved, please contact us:
Telephone: 0300 300 6310