Customer feedback

Adult social care, health and housing / public health procedure

The following information will provide you with an overview of how we deal with complaints about adult social care, health and housing / public health.

Download the adult social care, health and housing / public health customer feedback procedure (PDF 158.4KB)

What happens when you make a complaint?

When we receive your complaint we will assess the best way to deal with it. It will be important to try to sort things out for you as quickly as possible and if we can do this ‘on the spot’ and within 1 working day we will. If this is not possible we will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 3 working days and will tell you how we plan to investigate. We will offer to discuss this with you as you may have your own ideas about how you would like us to deal with your complaint.

We understand that some people may fear losing a service if they complain but we would like to reassure you that you will be treated fairly. We welcome complaints as they help us to see where we can improve services. You will not have a service withdrawn or delayed because you complain.

Joint complaints about social care and health services

If your complaint is in relation to both the social care and health services that you receive we will aim to use one agreed approach with health colleagues to deal with the complaint. We will also give you one point of contact to make it easier for you to talk to us about your complaint.

Complaints about care in a residential home or in your own home

If your complaint is in relation to care in a residential home or help at home that social care is paying towards you can tell the home or company directly or you can tell us. If you tell us we will make sure the complaint is investigated. If social care is not paying towards your care we would not be able to look at your complaint.


emptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyHow to complain about self-funded care.

What support is there to help me make a complaint?

An advocate is someone who doesn’t work for us and can help you to make a complaint and make sure your views are heard. There are various types of independent advocacy services available, depending on the needs of the person. You can also seek advice from the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (link opens in new window), your local councillor or MP.

Make a comment, compliment or complaint

Send us a comment, compliment or complaint >>

Other action you can take

If you are unhappy with the way your complaint is handled you do have the option to contact the ombudsman who may be able to look into your complaint.

If your complaint is about us as your housing landlord you can contact the Housing Ombudsman (link opens in new window):

Write to: Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange Square, London, E14 9GE

Telephone: 0300 111 3000


The Housing Ombudsman will not usually look at a complaint until either 8 weeks have passed after you have had a final response from us or if 8 weeks have not passed, but you have asked a ‘Designated Person’ to see if they can help you to resolve the complaint with us. A ‘Designated Person’ can be an MP or your local councillor.

For all other complaints you can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (link opens in new window) using the details below:

Write to: PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH

Telephone: 0300 061 0614

Web: (link opens in new window)

You can contact the ombudsman at any time however the ombudsman usually expects us to have had the opportunity to look into your complaint first.

Back to the top