Where we are investing
The council also has a separate programme of financial investment in capital projects, these tend to be building and infrastructure initiatives, rather than services, and include;
- £46 million on replacing and renewing existing assets like streetlights, school buildings, roads and leisure centres
- £20 million on projects which will reduce our spending in the long-term but need investment up front to make this possible. For example, buying our own waste vehicles
- £11 million on capturing the benefits of growth. For example, investing in new school places, broadband and extra care schemes
- £4 million on protecting and enhancing Central Bedfordshire. For example, improving pavements and initiatives to improve country parks and rights of way
- £3.7 million on responding to new opportunities. This includes investing in integrated health and care hubs
You can read the detailed draft capital programme (link opens in new window) (see item 9 on the agenda) as part of the budget papers for the Executive Committee meeting on 6 February 2018.