High Street Improvement Scheme
In addition to the Market Town Regeneration Fund, we have launched a £1 million capital fund to deliver a high street improvement scheme that will revitalise market towns through improvements to shop fronts and tackling vacant retail units.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about the scheme.
The scheme offers grants to high street businesses to make improvements to their business premises to create attractive shop frontages that attract more visitors and shoppers onto the high street.
The scheme, which will be delivered from March 2018 takes a managed approach in partnership with town councils and this partnership will be critical to the success of the scheme.
How the funding will work
Businesses will be eligible to apply for a capital improvement grant if they meet certain criteria, such as the business being an ‘independent’ and not part of a multiple chain of stores. Only those areas with participating town councils will be eligible for the scheme.
Grants of up to £20,000 (and in exceptional cases up to £50,000) will be available to enable businesses to:
- carry out external redecoration to the front of the business
- improve a privately owned forecourt or threshold facing the high street
- improve or replace the existing fascia or signage
- replace windows or window frames and doors
- highlight ornate building features such as cornicing and other architectural features
- improve or replace exterior lighting
- provide new awnings
- create a new brand identity for signage purposes
- provide other capital shop front improvements
The scheme will fund up to 60 per cent of required works (with 40 per cent coming from private and other public sector sources) and will include design / build costs and any planning permission fees required. Grants cannot be used retrospectively to fund works that have already been carried out.